Sunday, April 26, 2009
Keira: Miss K
Anika: Miss A
Traver: Big T
Debbie Jo: Djo
THE CHILDREN'S FATHER:
Previously known as P: Daddy P (that should be enough letters for him)
My Dad & Step Mom: Papa Blu & Nanny Blu
My Mom & Step Dad: Ma Pow & Pa Pow
Daddy P's Parents: Pa Jack & Ma Jack
All other special guests will be referred to with their initals or whatever crazy nickname I think up.
Hope that clears things up. Happy Reading.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
At 6pm it started snowing.
That wasn't a joke.
By the time the kids went to bed, it was snowing pretty hard. The weatherman warned me this would happen, so I wasn't surprised, but I was under the impression that it would be a light snow that didn't stick to the ground, because the pavement was so hot.I woke up this morning to about 4-5 inches of snow!! I couldn't find Keira's winter boots this morning but luckily had another pair in a box in the basement that were too big for her, but I told her she had to wear them anyway. My van was buried. It was the heavy wet snow with lots of ice underneath, so I had to run back in the house and get my gloves out of the basement so I could scrape the windows.
How ridiculous is this??
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Today I had someone (who sounded like a man, but was actually a grumpy ol' woman, come by and pick up all my old ugly clothes that I don't like to wear anymore, a very nice lady with a cute little boy that Keira decided was her "brother" picked up some crib bedding, and another nice lady who I've previously done "business" with picked up some of Anika's old play clothes.
My friend TT, has a stroller to get rid of. TT lives out of town, so I suggested that he bring the stroller to me. People don't like to drive 30km to get FREE STUFF. Some guy named R said he would love the stroller and could come and get it. I emailed my address and told him when I would be home. The stroller was never picked up, so I emailed him back and said I would leave it outside my front door because I didn't have room for it in the house, so please come and get it now. R never came to get the stroller. So I relisted.
Let me back up here a little before I continue...last week or so I posted on Freecycle looking for some sturdy wooden chairs for my kitchen table. The chairs I have right now are like the old wooden gymnasium chairs - the base isn't flat and the back is open - which makes putting a booster seat on it a bit of a hazard. A very nice lady named B messaged me and said she had some chairs from Montana's that would be perfect for me. She said they were green so would need to be painted or something - that's OK with me - um hello! slipcovers!!! would be so cute. So I drive out to Raymond to pick them up (because I drive 30km's for FREE stuff). Luckily I only had Traver with me because when I picked up the chairs realized that these were the bar stool height ones. I measured them and they sat 30 inches high and a normal chair is about 19-20". I was a little bit miffed but decided to take them anyway. The 4 chairs took up my entire van.
Because the chairs are so big (and presently unusable), I left them outside my front door. They are heavy and ugly and the kids in the complex are more interested in stealing the kids battery operated Barbie car gifted to the girls from a friend. My parents were in town for a few days and now a few days later I have yet to find someone to help me cut them down to regular size - so outside they sit.
I have a new friend TE. She is a wonderful, thoughtful lady. She went up to a FREE clothing drive in Calgary this weekend and surprised me today with a bag full of goodies - a huge bag of clothes for the kids, a doll stroller (so Keira and Anika would now EACH have one, so don't need to fight over the one we have anymore), and an old classic boy Cabbage Patch (very manly) doll for Traver. As we are standing at the doorway giggling about our new FREE stuff, I realize MY CHAIRS ARE MISSING!!!! and the stroller is still there!
I doubt it was the same little punk that rang my doorbell tonight after the kids went to bed. I open the door and a little 5 year old-ish boy peaks out from around the cement pillar and says "Um..my sister Nikki Nikki Nine Door'ed you." The chairs were bigger than he is. And what would he do with 4 wooden bar stool chairs anyway?
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
At midnight or so...just as I was drifting off to sleep, Anika started throwing up. I don't think she actually woke up as I changed her, changed her sheets and tucked her into my bed because I was too lazy to remake hers. In the wee hours of the morning Traver was complaining because his diaper had exploded up to his armpits.
We all got up - way earlier than we should have - and I turned on the TV for the kids and sat there on the couch staring at the wall feeling like I've been kicked in the stomach or run over by a car. I'm achy, sluggish and grumpy.
The rest of the day went like that. The girls seem to be feeling OK, but Traver was an unhappy little boy most of the day. Luckily, T, a new friend of mine brought over some pasta for us last night that I reheated for dinner tonight. I went to grab the grated cheese out of the fridge and started putting it on the pasta when I realized...the package did NOT say Cheddar Jalapeno like it normally does with the white cheese with the little green flecks. It only said Cheddar Mozzarella. Mozzarella does NOT have little green flecks...and then the light bulb moment - WHY everyone was feeling so horrible today.
I've lost my appetite.
My 3 positive things:
1) I went for a walk around the lake, even though I was feeling horrible, and the fresh (cold) air did me some good.
2) I had a good talk with my sis-in-law today who is really good at listening and not being judgemental.
3) 7 11 has Lemonade Slurpees!!
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Keira and bff Michaela were so adorable. When they met up at the zoo, they ran to each other and embraced in the biggest hug. They were inseperable and held hands all day.
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
- can't comprehend how Fabricland can more than DOUBLE the price of their flannel in 6 months, when Marshall's only went up by about 20%!!! appalling!
- has a pretty boring life right now - which is a bit surprising. No idea what to even blog about.
- needs to kick this grumpiness in the butt. Going on three days now!!
- has been inspired by DJ and is going for her first jog of the year!!
- changed her name.
- is trying not to be judgemental of her neighbor (subsidized housing) who drives a brand new Durango.
- thinks Polly has a death wish.
- is a (not on purpose) plant killer
- has a one year old, a 2 year old and a 3 year old. whew!
- does NOT have the new Facebook yet like everyone else
- gets ridiculously excited about fabric, and patterns, and sewing gadjets
- is going to buy a snow shovel today *grumble grumble*
- is getting business up and running again.
- doesn't give apologies to people that demand it.
- ‘s heart is thawing out
- made a pretty ridiculous and expensive finacial error. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! *epcor i hate you*
- is mildly overhwhelmed with the contents of her mailbox today.
- hopes Keira is wrong. She says there is a ghost upstairs
- really hopes the base to the blender is NOT in the LAST box she unpacks. grr. where did it go??? *fruitshake i miss you*
- feels like poo today and is having a hard time thinking of a positive status update in relation to her crazy life
- is suffering from a very painful ear infection at 4:45am. *ouch ouch ouch*
- is super annoyed by people that use their status updates to get attention. grrrr.
- was up 12 times between 10pm-3am. Thanks kids!
- + Anika + headcold = a very cranky duo!
- drives a van with duct tape holding it together. iy yi yi.
- is going to clean and give the keys back!!
- is about to put a picture frame collage on her wall and thinks it should have come with a template!!
- is sick and tired of sick and tired kids.
- just spend over an hour on the phone with an un-friendly Sony Tech support guy and he didn't fix it!!!
- has some friends that are definately 'keepers'
- breaks the rules - unintentionally – oops
- is going to pretend she knows what she's doing and go out to the hardware store to get stuff to insall the washer and dryer
- looks a bit like Dolly Parton today - but hey, 9 consecutive hours of sleep was worth it!
- gets the keys to her new place tomorrow!!
- is getting buried in boxes, rubbermaid tubs and piles of laundry!!
- need a few available men....to help her move on Sat...anyone????
- got a new Blackberry Curve oooOOOOOoooo
- can't believe she is actually throwing a Dora themed party today for Miss Anika
- thinks people should show love their significant others all year 'round, not just on Valentines Day
- 's design wheels are turning. Looks like she'll be pulling out the paper, felts and measuring tape tonight instead of cleaning!
- is not STILL wearing fishnets. She just hasn't had a chance to change her status update.
- is wearing fishnets....eeek!
- is about to be attacked by Britt's scissors....and.....*exhale
- is procrastinating
- is languorous
- is reading a book that is going to solve all her problems
- has just about lost her mind
- is bored of burgundy. Everyone on MSN uses burgundy font. B-O-R-I-N-G
- is still waiting for a cleaning fairy
- is looking for someone to come clean her house. She'll pay. Anyone interested?
- wants to know if there is anyone in putting in a Tupperware order this week!! PLEASE???
- sat beside someone at church today that smelled like black licorise. ew.
- is going to make yummy nachos with an insane amount of veggies and melted cheese....mmmmm
- is debating if she should pay rent on the 1st?
- is divulging the secret to perfectly toasted pancakes - extra virgin olive oil (organic of course).
- is a horrible monster - apparently.
- would really REALLY like to go to bed
- is going to watch 'House' again. cant....stop....watching
- is cleaning four off the floor, cupboards and children (without a bathtub!!)
- µœßßœð ↓þ ħœ¶ ĸœ←”øæ¶ð
- is in the middle of an organized mess
- is making whole wheat playdoh HAHAHA
- is a little more scared of spiders than she thought!
- admits to only eating the cheese out of the cheese and crackers Handi-Snacks
- cheated on her Kitchen Aid food processor with a Henkels knife!
- is thinking about "Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows, everything...." - hey Britt, how do you like this status?
- pulled an all nighter - not by choice
- is being bombarded by a bunch of sicknessess - tonsilitis, ear infection, chest colds, bronciolitis...what next? - please say sleep!
- is Facebooking on a brand new laptop and its HUGE compared to the micro computer I was using!
- does NOT put unpicking machine embroidery on her top 5 list of things to do on a Thursday night!
- is going to the chiropracter and then coming home and watching her house clean itself
- needs a little rhinoplasty so she can have a nose like Fergie.
- was going to go to bed at 9pm, but Traver had other plans. grrrr.
- wishes she had a miracle cure for her 3 miserable sickies
- just woke up from a THREE AND A HALF HOUR NAP??????????
- has a new blog (jacksondailyzoo.blogspot.com) and wants to read yours. What's your blog address?
- kind of sort of wishes the antibiotics didn't kick in so quickly - Keira is FEELING BETTER
- is moving again
- is eating hotdogs dipped in mustard and manzanilla olives. can you say bad breath?? Haha
- 's morning shower was cut short by the hungry looking spider eyeballing her. EEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- is going to knit in the round - whatever *that* means?
- is using a teensy tiny laptop because hers got toasted. Hopefully the new one gets here soon!
- has too many hobbies
- now knows what 7 consecutive hours of sleep feels like
- just peeled 50+ Dora Stickers off the toilet. Anika must have misunderstood "potty stickers"
- really misses having a bathtub somedays - ie: when her kids eat blueberries for breakfast
Saturday, March 21, 2009
ok i have no idea how to turn the picture. oops.
Saturday, March 14, 2009
Friday, March 13, 2009
Friday, March 6, 2009
We then drove out to Magrath to check my mail and pickup my damage deposit cheque from my old landlords. I realized it was pretty late so stopped off at Burger King to get some yucky dinner. I ordered my burger with no ketchup. About halfway to Magrath, I open my sandwhich and see the little tomato crossed out on the packaging. Apparently tomato and ketchup sound the same said through a drive thru speaker. Or maybe because ketchup is made from tomatoes, they thought I wouldn't know the difference. grr. I HATE ketchup.
Next stop - post office. Where I received the following:
- Government Cheque for $300 (from last month, that I totally forgot about that obviously came late) YAY
- Tupperware junkmail - blah
- Huggies junkmail - blah
- Bank statement reminding me that I only have $0.63 in my bank account as of the date of the statement - thanks for reminding me how poor I am
- Another bankstatment saying that I have $67. Oh boy. So in total I have $67.63 to my name.
- more Huggies junkmail - I guess because I have two kids in (cloth) diapers, I need twice as much junk????
- Scotiabank junkmail trying to get me to buy Life Insurance - toss
- Electricity bill - $370.36 for my single wide trailer for a month!!!!!!!! THREE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY in case you thought you read that wrong. This is with no previous charges owing or anything. ONE month of Electricity!
- Income Tax stuff - another reminder of how much money I DON'T have.
- Telus bill with $33 more owing that it should be because they didn't fix the long distance problem from last month.
- Divorce Papers - which state that I am signing the house over to P. WHAT???!!! Why would I just GIVE him the house? His lawyer is pretty good, so I'm actually (a teensy bit) surprised that she would change something so big from our agreement. Apparently she thinks I deserve to walk away with nothing. WRONG!
And THEN I went to pick up my damage deposit cheque from my evil ex-landlords. My damage deposit was $720. I lived in the trailer for 3 months. They gave me back a cheque for $416.50. Apparently I did $300+ worth of damage in the 3 months that I lived there.
When I took the trailer, I was desperate for a place to live and they knew that and took advantage. My kids and I were going to end up on the street. My understanding is that they had recently purchased the trailer and were getting it ready to rent ie: putting in new carpet/lino/countertops and painting.
They got the new carpet and lino in, slapped on very thin coat of puke green paint on the walls and put in the new countertops (the sink was installed AFTER i moved in). The first night I didn't even have water. I was OK with not everything being completed because after 4 months of moving from house to house, I was just grateful to have a roof over my head where I didn't have to worry about me or my kids bothering anyone.
The landlords hadn't cleaned up from the reno's and I told them not to worry about it, I'd vacuum up the sawdust and do whatever cleaning needed to be done.
The first couple week I was there I spend HOURS bleaching the bathroom ceiling and walls due to cigarette smoke. I replaced the showerhead because the cord was yellow and full of smoke and stunk so bad when the water turned on. I wiped down walls where the smoke was running down the wall. I vacuumed up all the sawdust, wiped out the cupboards, cleaned the oven (that I'm pretty sure hadn't been cleaned in over 5 years), cleaned the fridge etc etc.
Then, I lived as a single mother of 3 ages 3 and under and tried my hardest to keep up on things. I'm actually pretty impressed with myself because the only time the dishes really piled up was the times the sink was plugged so bad both sinks were full of water. I vacuumed at least once a week and cleaned the bathroom. Near the end it was untidy, but not unclean.
I then spend days packing and getting things ready to move mostly by myself (with a bit of help here and there from friends) with my 3 kids in tow.
On the last day, I managed to get over there in the morning and spend 3 hours washing walls, vacumming and spot cleaning carpets, vacumming window sills, bleaching the bathroom, kitchen counters, floors etc.
When we did the walk through and I gave back the keys they checked every tiny nook and cranny in that place (which is funny because I don't even think they went in all the rooms when I did the walk through moving in). Curtis picked up 3 tiny crumbs out of the carpet by the step to the front door and a staple. A STAPLE, and I don't even own a stapler, and then accused me of not doing the carpets. There were also a few crumbs on the counter - which I bleached and cleaned and he reprimanded me for not even having the decency to clean their new countertops that they installed. Then he opened a cupboard and I guess while the kids were there when I was packing and cleaning, they took some of their crayons and left them in the cupboard. They checked the stove and the fridge and said it wasn't clean enough. I then told them I didn't realize I was their professional cleaner because they were filthy when I moved in and I have left the trailer in 10x's better condition than when I rented it. They then said there was "stains" on the carpet. What they were is one small spot on the living room floor and one small spot in the kids room where I had hand scrubbed something out of the carpet. I put too much soap in and not enough water so left a wet looking round mark which would have come up with a wet cloth.
Attached to my measly $416.50 return is a receipt for 5 hours of professional house cleaning @ 25.00/hr and a steam cleaning receipt for $178.50 where it shows that they shampooed FOUR rooms and the HALLWAY. Might I remind you, I lived there for 3 months, and I OWN a carpet shampooer.
I am so emotionally drained that it seems to me, life just keeps going down hill.
So to leave this on a good note, I'm going to start leaving '3 good things about today' notes at the end of my posts.
1. Keira was teaching Anika today how to sing I Am a Child of God. It was so beautiful. And when they were coloring, she was telling Anika about Jesus.
2. I got 2 loads of laundry and the bathroom cleaned today.
3. I feeling 80% better than I was yesterday.
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
The next day I lost my voice.
So I went to the doc and begged for Anti-biotics. Doc did a swab for strep and told me it was likely just viral and gave me a handful of Advil Liquid Gels.
Next night ear infection that hurt so bad I couldn't fall asleep until about 1:30am. 4:30am I wake up in excruciating pain. Wondering IF/how I should go to the hospital. How does one get to the hospital that early in the morning with 3 kids, not knowing a soul?? About an hour later as I was pacing the house, drinking water, doping up on Advil, all of a sudden my ear starting bubbling and popped and then a constant sticky stream of fluid ever since. Must have burst an ear drum.
This afternoon, I convinced Anika to have a nap, put the baby gate across the stairs, turned on a movie for Keira & Traver and dozed on the couch for a couple hours.
When Anika woke up she was whiny and wanted me and curled up on my chest and dozed off again, Traver bouncing at the edge of the couch crying and wanting me too and Keira yelling in everyone's faces, cuz that's what she does.
Went upstairs, took my temp again...another fever, and chills. The kids are cying, I've got to make dinner but I feel like curling up on the couch and going back to sleep.
This is the part of single parenthood that kind of drives me nuts!
Oh I forgot to mention that when I was getting the kids in the van, I put the girls in, then walked around the van with Traver and slipped on black ice. Broke open one knee, got a blue gooser on the other knee, popped a blood vessle in my hand and cut it open but luckily Traver didn't even touch the ground. Mothers instict I guess was to hug all 27 lbs of him closer.
Then I drop Anika and Traver off with the babysitter because Keira had an appointment. Went to buckle Keira back into her booster seat and smashed my head on the way out the door. And now I have a gooser on my head. *sigh
Make it stop!!
Sunday, March 1, 2009
We have recently moved into a 3 bedroom townhouse. The layout as follows:
UPPER: Girls bedroom, My/Traver's bedroom, playroom, Bathroom
MAIN: Living/Diningroom, Kitchen
LOWER: Cement basement - Laundry/Storage/Weight room
The stairs are posing a problem. If you noticed the BATHROOM is only upstairs. There is no half bath on the main floor. Keira can go up and down stairs no problems, but "needs"me to accompany her whenever she has to go up or down. Anika can go up and down no problem, but is SO slow and if I'm coming down at the same time, refuses to use her feet. She will stand on the step and cry until I carry her down. Traver does fine going up, but obviously can't come down on his own. We don't have carpet so I worry more about falls.
Toilet training Anika is going to be a bit of a problem because it's a real hassle to haul all three kids upstairs just to try to go potty and then haul them all back down. I can't take one kid up without the others following behind me crying. Hopefully this is just something they will get used to and they will realize when I go upstairs, I'm not leaving, and I'll be right back.
Keira's toilet training has taken a downward curve lately. She is only going 50% of the time, and the other half she's going in her pants, hiding behind the couch, or in the closet. Poop apparently is a two step process - Poop in pants, deposit in toilet, use 50 wipes to clean up. I'm really not understanding WHY Keira will go clean herself up after she poops in her pants. Why doesn't she just go to the bathroom in the first place - like she used to.
I'm TRYING to be patient with her but it's hard because she's been trained about 4 times now and keeps going backwards. As I was venting my frustration with her today and sat her on the toilet and explained that we poop IN the potty, not our pants - she yells back at me that she falls in the toilet at Daddy's house. Now it makes sense. She doesn't want to poop on the potty because she's afraid she'll fall in. P in all his brillant wisdom went out to buy a new toilet one day without my knowledge. Instead of coming home with the one we had agreed on buying (that we had previously bought at our old house and loved it), he comes home with an enlongated seat fancy toilet that belongs in a house worth much more than our shack. Putting that toilet in our house is like putting stone countertops in a mobile home. Ridiculous! The biggest problem with the toilet is we got it when Keira was first toilet training and its too long to put a child sized insert in it and we never trained with the little portable potty's and I didn't want to start. She eventually got the hang of it, but it was tough.
So the dilemna is - do I get a porta potty for the main floor? If so, where do I put it, or how do I monitor cleaning it? I can just imagine Keira walking around with a bucket full of pee! Or do I get an insert for the toilet to make her feel more secure, (even though she doesn't need it), or do I just keep doing what we are doing and try not to lose my marbles everyday when I'm cleaning poop off the walls, the ceiling, her clothes, the toilet etc.
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Traver woke up barely breathing. I've got him on the breathing machine and he's batting it away from his face and hitting me because he's mad I'm doing it.
Keira is being pouty and saying "Anika touched my Strawberry Shortcake blankie!" I then got a lecture from her about how SHE can open the baby gate so we can all go downstairs. I try to explain to her that only Mommy opens the gate for safety, but I can't win.
I sit all the sniffly nose kids down at the table for some Cheerios and bananas. Keira's banana is "yucky" and she wants a big one - meaning she is NOT sharing her banana with the other kids. So I give her a clean banana, and split the "yucky" one between Traver & Anika (which they happily eat). Then Cheerio's start flying everywhere.
I'm trying to ignore the fighting and my pounding headache from a cold that is trying to creep into my chest, when I realize what DAY it is. It's Wednesday - I have an appointment at 11am that I'm not supposed to bring the kids to. I of course just moved and don't know a soul and when I set up the appointment thought P would have the kids today.
Into the shower I go, with 3 crying, fighting, pouting kids bouncing at the edge of the tub because they want a shower too. I remind them that we actually have a bathtub now, so after I shower, they can have a bath, so please go play in the playroom for 5 mins. The crying and fighting didn't stop so I thought asking them to take their clothes off to get ready for their bath would distract them for 2 min. Wrong. "I can't do it" temper tantrums started so I opened the curtain, got all three kids undressed while I tried to finish washing off the soap. Popped the plug in with my foot and they all climbed in as the tub was filling up and I got kicked out of the shower.
Go get your socks, I say - I caaaan't Mommy
Go get your boots please, - I can't find them Mommy
Go get your jacket please, - I can't get it Mommy, I can't find it, YOU get it. I walk up to the top of the stairs where I tell Keira she left her jacket and there it is - she had to have stepped over it when she told me she couldn't find it.
Keira then has a meltdown because we can't find her Klean Kanteen.
I carry all 3 crying kids out to the van to go to our appointment where they acted like perfect angels.
Keira walked out of the building after our appointment and started running for the van. She headed towards where we normally park, but because it was busy this morning, we were parked in different spot so she did a nose dive tripping over my foot and got little snowy handprints skidding across the sidewalk. And the crying started again.
When we get home we deal with a few potty accidents from Keira, a few meltdowns from Anika because someone touched her, and a few crying fits from Traver because HE wanted to talk on the phone.
I tried to catch a snooze on the couch because I feel like having a temper tantrum, but all the kids wanted to sit on my lap, but didn't want either of the others to touch me OR themselves. So now, I've got 3 kids fighting over a spot on my very small lap.
I asked the kids if they wanted Hot Dogs for dinner because I didn't want to waste time or food on sick kids that weren't going to eat. Keira didn't want Hot Dogs. She MUST be sick. She then fell asleep on the couch after giving up on trying to get me to "fix" her snotty nose. I just realized she's asleep on the couch in her swimming suit. How the heck am I going to get a PullUp on her??
Anika is hanging all over me, not wanting to cuddle, but not wanting to not cuddle. Traver finally went down for a sleep. So now I've got 2.5 sleeping kids 2 hours before bedtime. The night is only just beginning *sigh
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Thursday, February 19, 2009
For the past month Keira has been telling me that Anika's birthday is in March (because she can't say February) and she's going to be 2. Traver's birthday is in March and he's going to be 1. I already had my birthday and I'm 3. We've gone through the birthdays over and over. It was cute to here Keira getting Anika excited about it. "You're going to be TWO Anika. It's your birthday party."
I don't think Anika really "got it" until we brought out the cake and started singing Happy Birthday. At the part that says "Happy Birthday dear Anika...." She looked up and squealed and I think that's when it "clicked" for her.
I'm happy that she's two and looking forward to the kids being a little more independant and being able to take them out and do fun things without feeling like I'm going crazy.
I love that little monster!
When I put the kids to bed, Keira says to me "Mommy, I'm supposed to wear jammies!" I don't think she understands that I spend the whole day cleaning and getting ready for Anika's party and the laundry is not caught up. I told her it's ok to wear just a tshirt to bed and promised to be supermom and get all the laundry done tomorrow.